May 24, 2019

Varsity Cup – Round 6 Review


Predicting the results beforehand did not take a genius and as I said yesterday, expect the front runners to be in more "close" battles as they start to rest their star players in order to have the matchday squad fully fit and ready for the semi-finals on 08 April 2019.

UWC 21-35 CUT

A close game until the discipline of UWC players started to earn them cards. The red card for a dangerous tackle to Jaen-Louis de Lange shifted the momentum away from the home team as the visitors scored a try before halftime to lead 21-5. A try just after the second half started stretched CUT's lead to 28-5 which was just too much for UWC to catch up although the did put in an effort scoring 16 points to CUT's five in the last quarter of the match.


FNB UWC: Tries: Tristan Leyds, Tristan Leyds (7-point try), Andre Manuel Conversions: Aidynn Cupido (2)

FNB CUT: Tries: Ruan Wasserman, Rayno Nel, Anrich Alberts, Anrich Alberts, Hardus Nel Conversions: Heinrich Bitzi (2), Marc Morrison (3) Penalty: Marc Morrison


Maties 24-13 UJ

UJ gave their all to surprise and trailed by 10-12 after the first strategy break. Thereafter the game went to sleep with the teams changing sides with Maties still in the lead with 12-10. Just after the half time break Maties sent on some replacements which changed the game completely. Maties used their new found dominance up front to force penalties which were converted by flyhalf Chait at regular intervals to win the game as expected.


FNB Maties: Tries: Anton du Toit, Jesse Johnson Conversions: Jordan Chait Penalties: Jordan Chait (4)

FNB UJ: Try: Malembe Mpofu Conversion: Mashudu Raphunga Penalties: Mashudu Raphunga (2)


NWU 32-17 Ikeys

NWU led 19-03 after twenty minutes into the game and although they received a yellow and red card they still were leading 22-03 at the half time break. The second half saw UCT giving up the advantage of having one player more on the field when they were yellow carded, twice.


FNB NWU: Tries: Reuben du Plooy (2), Botter Moloto, Edmund Rheeder Conversions: Schalk Hugo (3)   Penalties: Schalk Hugo

FNB UCT: Tries: Joshua van Vuuren, Gary Porter Conversions: Darian Hock (2)


Shimlas 14-27 TUKS

The game was played in very cold and wet conditions with both teams opted to look for territory first and used their forwards to take up the ball. In a low scoring first half TUKS lead 10-0 at half time with the first points of the first half only scored after nineteen minutes of play. TUKS stretched their lead to 20-0 after 60 minutes of play whereafter Shimlas scored two quick tries to cut their deficit to 14-20. TUKS scored with a minute left on the clock to win 27-14 in a match which was controlled by the boot of TUKS' flyhalf Tinus de Beer.


FNB Shimlas: TRIES: Bertie de Bod, Zak Burger (7-pointer) CONVERSION: Lubabalo Dobela PENALTY:  Lubabalo Dobela

FNB Tuks: TRIES: Lourens Pretorius, Stephan Smit, Erich Cronje CONVERSIONS: Tinus De Beer (3)
PENALTIES: Tinus De Beer (2)

error: Content is protected !!